If you are planning to advertise on Chinese search engine Baidu, I have listed the steps below.
Baidu Advertising Requirements:
- Chinese language website, since ads are preferred in Chinese, so the content in the same language makes more sense and is recommended by Baidu
- The website should load in mainland China; have adequate site speed, with a good site loading time and experience. These details impact the Baidu’ s website verification process
- Site design and structure should appeal to the Chinese audience. Hence mere translation of an English site into Chinese might not serve the function very well.
- Baidu does not allow direct PPC account setup like Google Adwords. Baidu PPC account can only be setup via a local authorized Baidu reseller/division. Provided here are the local reseller/division details for each region http://e.baidu.com/ IH Digital China is the authorized reseller in India (http://www.ihdigital.com/services/china-digital-marketing/)
- As 1ststep Baidu needs the website URL, which it scans to check if company and website are verified and authentic and permitted to advertise on Baidu
- Next, need to submit the following documents:
- Copy of Business Registration
- Simplified Chinese translation of the Business Registration Certificate
- Website homepage screenshot with URL showing along with a written statement stating that the screenshot is genuine and the website is same a screenshot.
- Following this Baidu will verify all the details and cross-check them with the website.
- Local Government official website screenshot of the business, along with a statement quoting it is same as the website.
- A statement of your business bank account, with details of bank name, business account name, account number, bank branch name and bank branch address
- All documents will be required to be accompanied by Chinese translation and stamped with the company’s official seal. All documents need to be accompanied with a handwritten statement mentioning “same as original”.
- Lastly a letter of commitment, which will be provided by the reseller.
- Once all documents are submitted it takes 2-4 weeks for Baidu account to be approved.
- If approved the Baidu reseller will send a Baidu platform contract, which contains privacy details and other items. This contract needs to be signed and delivered back to the reseller. Sometimes the contract maybe in Chinese only, so we will have to translate ourselves.
- All ad spend needs to be prepaid, and since Baidu accepts no form of international payment, the money needs to be aid to the Baidu reseller, in Chinese Yuan or Dollar via international wire transfer. Following which the Baidu reseller will transfer the fund to Baidu. (Minimum initial ad deposit is 2,000 USD)
- Once Baidu receives the pre-payment the PPC account will be released within 3-5 days.
And after that you will be able to run ads on Baidu. It may not be an easy task but if you have to run ads on Baidu, you will have to complete the above process.